Easter is by far my favorite holiday. Redemption, freedom, and joy all found their true meaning and foundation on the hill at Calvary. There’s no lesson I love more, no story greater to tell than the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus and what it means for us, His children. As homeschoolers, we have the privilege of studying Holy Week with our families, integrating this sacred and blessed holiday into our school day. Take advantage of this freedom with these inspiring and challenging Holy Week lesson plans for homeschoolers.
5 Holy Week Lesson Plans for Homeschoolers
- Easter Devotions: An Easter Devotional should be your top lesson this Holy Week! This Easter we planted a Resurrection Garden to have a visual reminder on our kitchen table of the holiness of this week. Hide the truth of Easter in their hearts by going through this Easter devotional with your children than creating a Resurrection Garden.
- Seder Meal: Jesus arrived in Jerusalem to celebrate Passover. While he knew this would be his last days before His crucifixion and death, he came to celebrate to fulfill the law as a pious Jew. Hold a Seder meal with your family, eating the traditional foods and holding the Seder ceremony, including the special prayers. Here’s a Passover Seder guide to get you started.
- Holy Week Calendar: If you’re looking for a daily guide to teach what Jesus experienced Holy Week, look no further. Create this visual Holy Week calendar with your children to impress upon them the importance and significance of this week in the life of our Lord. Little ones will enjoy making each piece for the calendar while older students can be challenged with memory verses and journal entries examining how Jesus or those around Him felt during each event.
- Sensory Studies for Holy Week: Teaching the Easter story to a preschooler can be difficult because of the content and complexity of the event and its implications for humanity. Using this lesson, which explores Holy Week using the five senses, is a great way to make the events of Easter accessible and relatable to a younger learner. Students will use their sense of hearing as they learn about Palm Sunday, taste for the Last Supper, etc. Forget just the preschoolers, all ages can learn from this sensory-based lesson!
- An Eyewitness of the King: John was one of the most prolific writers in the New Testament. Spend this Holy Week learning about and analyzing His eyewitness accounts of Jesus’ life and ministry in this video series from request.org/uk. Your students will examine Jesus as King through his character traits including rooted, servant-hearted, gracious, sacrificial, and undefeated.
Holy Week is a wonderful time to plant seeds of celebration, contemplation, and awe of Easter and the cross of Christ. There’s nothing more important than pointing our children to the saving grace that only Jesus has to offer. I hope this Holy Week is one filled with wonder, thanksgiving, and joy for your beloved!
If you’re looking to incorporate Christian-based curriculum into your homeschooling, check out our tips on how to find the best Christian homeschool curriculum. Or, discover why you may want a Christian-based homeschool program.
Ready to choose a curriculum that incorporates your belief system and is tailored to your homeschooling goals and needs? We’d be happy to discuss your options with you. Give us a call at 1-800-863-1474 to speak with a homeschool expert and learn more.