I googled “educational apps” and within 0.51 seconds received 3.6 billion results! Yes, I said 3.6 billion! What an incentive to throw up my hands and refuse to enter this forest. On the other hand, apps are so useful and an essential part of our culture, helping to support and solve problems for every need. There are games, lessons, stories, portfolios, organizers — and something every homeschool parent can use: stress relievers! Here are our best educational Apps for homeschoolers in 2018 that we think you will app-reciate most!
Elementary Educational Apps
- Starfall Help your Pre-K – 2nd-grade student learn about reading, math, and more, with this fun game! There are tons of activities that can help students learn basic skills and even more if you decide to become a member.
- Wizard School Duck Duck Moose and Khan Academy have partnered together to give more educational resources for free! Built around exploration and creativity, your child can build and create, then share with you! Parents do have control over whom their child can send messages to.
- Addimal Adventure Enjoy silly animals while you explore the jungle to learn addition with this game! It helps kids build a conceptual knowledge of addition, and is not just a memorization tool. The game does not progress like others, though, so kids might get tired of it after awhile.
Middle School Educational Apps
- Scratch Are your kids as interested in technology as are mine? Why not put that to good use? With Scratch, kids can learn how to program their own games while also building their creativity and problem-solving skills.
- POPGeo USA Encourage your kids to love geography and learn about the United States, the state parks, major cities, and more! With the newest update, your kids will enjoy the new animations and images.
- World’s Worst Pet Have fun while learning new words and meanings! This adventure uses words that students will use in their everyday lives.
High School and College Prep Educational Apps
- SAT Prep by Ready 4 With thousands of questions, reviews, and explanations, this app will help you reach your fullest potential on the SAT!
- Geometry Pad Explore geometry and shapes through this app! It’s great for a more hands-on experience with geometry than just using a calculator.
- The Homework App Staying on top of your schoolwork and homework has never been easier! This homework app helps you stay organized while giving you an easy way to see all your projects for each week. This will be especially helpful in training them for college.
- Study Blue Ready to ace all your courses? Make the most of your study time with the best of flashcards and quizzes. Best of all, you can share all of your study materials with friends so you can all be prepared for anything.
Top Educational Apps for Parents
- PhotoMath Do you need help explaining algebra concepts to your teens? Check out this amazing tool that can give outlines and explain how to get the answers!
- Libby by Overdrive Want that audiobook from the library but don’t know when it will be returned? Check it out on the Libby app! The Libby app is supported by over 30,000 libraries, where you can download and consume what you want, whenever you want it! The only requirement is that you have a library card.
- Any.Do Like to make lists? Here’s a great app for keeping all of your lists organized. Best of all, you can share with your family so that everyone knows what plans are going on each day.
- Yummly Get instant inspiration for cooking while using the Yummly app! With such an easy-to-use search tool (you can search by food type, allergy, meal, and more), you can save time searching for new recipes and making your shopping lists!
- No longer do you have to create and print out a chore chart each week! Instead, add some magic to your chore list with Chore Pad! This app lets you create chores for each child and gives them the opportunity to customize their look, earn stars and trophies, and have the opportunity to cash out on them when they have earned enough stars!
While there are tons of educational Apps out there to choose from, the best apps will always fit your needs and provide support to your homeschoolers. What apps do you use in your homeschooling or planning day? We’d love to hear what’s happening in your homeschool!