We are firmly in the 21st century. Gone are the days when students simply showed up to school, listened to lessons from their teachers, and were sent home with paper copies of homework or assignments. It’s just not how schools operate anymore…even traditional brick-and-mortar institutions. Online learning when homeschooling, whether serving as the main form of education or as a supplement, is here for the long run. And many families are embracing all the benefits, innovations, and conveniences of online learning.
Let’s be clear, however…online learning does not equate to plopping your child in front of a computer for six hours at a time. That doesn’t benefit anyone, especially younger children who tend to grow antsy after sitting still for more than 30 minutes. Most students need variety–some asynchronous online lessons, some live classes, some textbook learning, independent study, and so on. But online learning–in some way, shape, or form–has quickly become a staple of education across the globe.
The COVID-19 pandemic certainly pushed online learning to the forefront of education. After all, that was really the only available option for schools over the period of a year or so. And while some schools were reluctantly dragged into the 21st century and its innovative methods of learning, most soon realized that online education actually has a place in public schools, private schools, and of course, home education. Today, many schools have adopted online learning either as a way to study at home or to reinforce in-class lessons with complementary interactive learning. And, given its advantages, online learning will likely continue growing in all sectors of education.
The Importance of Finding the Right Fit
As a homeschooling parent, it’s still as important as ever to identify your child’s learning style and preferences so you can use the right online learning tools and get the most out of them. For example, if your child is a hands-on learner (kinesthetic), he or she will find no value in watching hours of videos and taking online quizzes. They need to move and touch things to learn the topics you’re teaching–for math, you can use manipulatives to reinforce online lessons. Have them watch or participate in a math lesson, then pause for a few moments to let them use their hands to better understand the material.
For science, perhaps a quick video on the laws of gravity, followed by an experiment demonstrating those laws. For history or social studies, perhaps you use an online lesson about the Revolutionary War and then have your child create a slideshow or diorama of a certain event from that period of history. The options are nearly limitless.
Just make sure to know your child’s learning style. If you’re not familiar with it, take our Learning Style Assessment here!
Mix It Up
As we previously mentioned, it’s important to incorporate a variety of learning into your child’s day…even if you’re using online learning when homeschooling. While computer-based learning is certainly very convenient, most kids benefit from paper- and textbook-based activities and learning as well. A good online program will use a varied mix of media to keep your student engaged and ready to learn. In fact, neuroscience confirms that young learners need pencil and paper, active learning, freedom to share ideas, and opportunities to problem solve as they grow and develop. And we’ve got an online learning program that is the perfect blend of all of the above…Discover!
Discover! Online is built to give kids the perfect blended learning experience. How? By offering online, worktext, and instructor-led activities for students in grades 1-6. Powered by Bridgeway Academy, Discover! features daily lessons that challenge students to think critically, encourage them to express their thoughts and ideas, and allow them to participate in fun projects.
Discover! The Benefits
What is a typical Discover! Online lesson all about? Well…
- Kids get to know all the fun characters that help guide them through each course. There’s Pierre the Frog, Julie the Grasshopper, Lonnie the Lemur, and so many more…young students love these guys and gals because they make learning fun!
- The Discover! online interactives keep students engaged by helping them absorb, process, and integrate new information in creative ways.
- One of the best parts about Discover! lessons is that they connect learning to real life. Students engage in online activities specifically designed to build critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Discover! helps cultivate independent learning through easy-to-follow pacing and an intuitive online interface. Kids and parents alike benefit from being able to easily view what’s on the docket each day, week, and even the entire school year.
- If you’re a family that prefers to incorporate faith into your child’s education, Discover! Online offers an option that you can add to the online learning experience. Faith Connections challenge kids to analyze new information from a Biblical worldview.
With Discover! Online, students experience all the benefits of online learning when homeschooling, but with the perfect blend of hands-on activities that young students need.
The Perfect Online Curriculum Companion
If you already have a curriculum that you know and love, but you’re seeking a quality complement of online learning, look no further than Elephango! If you haven’t yet experienced Elephango, go check it out…you will love it!
Elephango is personalized online learning that sparks curiosity, deepens understanding, and builds confidence. Our award-winning platform includes more than 3,000 K-12 lessons and over 100,000 pathways to personalized learning. Elephango was literally designed for homeschoolers with these principles in mind:
- Encourages independence: The easy interface makes it simple for students to explore interests and take ownership of their learning.
- Allows students to enjoy the freedom to learn their way: Curiosity-driven learning and project-based assessments let their strengths take the lead.
- Sparks curiosity: Elephango takes learning beyond simple answers and challenges students to ask, “Why?” Because when you are curious, you can learn anything.
Elephango offers 24/7 access to amazing lessons that focus on an extraordinary variety of topics and subjects, including the latest current events. And they’re all simple to find thanks to a thoughtful search feature that allows you and your students to find lessons by subject, grade level, lesson type, content type, length, state and national standards, personality style, and learning style! You can even find complete lesson plans for a variety of subjects. Badges and leaderboards make learning extra cool and fun for students of all ages. And the easy-to-use dashboard keeps everything organized for parents.
Discover! + Elephango = Online Learning Unlike Any Other
As you look to create the right online learning formula, go through a quick checklist…
- Online lessons that encourage independence
- Project-based learning
- Online quizzes, tests, and assessments
- Some textbook- or paper-based learning
- Interactive and hands-on activities
- Easily accessible progress and grading information
- Anytime access to online content
- Lessons that promote critical thinking and real-world connections
- Engaging material that makes kids want to learn more
Discover! Online and Elephango check all the boxes when you’re putting together online learning for your child. And don’t forget, Bridgeway Academy offers wonderful online learning for students at all grade levels! In fact, our elementary Homeschool Live program uses Discover! curriculum, with the bonus of Live Online Classes as a change of pace that students love! And our middle and high school Homeschool Live programs offer both Live Online Classes in a virtual classroom with a live instructor and classmates from around the world, as well as Self-Paced Online courses that can be taken anytime and anywhere–with the added support of a live teacher who is available for guidance and feedback.
Our Homeschool Academy program offers Self-Paced Online curriculum as well as Blended learning options for younger students. And most importantly, Homeschool Academy and Homeschool Live include a dedicated academic advisor who is there for you every step of the homeschool journey, plus important accreditation and record-keeping support.
With Bridgeway Academy, Discover! Online, and Elephango, the amazing world of online learning is at your fingertips!
To learn more about Discover! curriculum and Discover! Online, join us for our Parent Educator Webinar, during which we’ll discuss all things Discover! You can register for free here: https://bridgewayacademy.zoom.us/webinar/register/4016861711454/WN_-2Yq5vtnSGyimiX38B5q_w