Nevada State Laws
Homeschooling Laws, Information, and Resources for Nevada
If you’re living in Nevada and are looking into homeschooling, you’re in the right place! This page provides the resources and information you need to determine whether homeschooling in the Silver State is right for you.
Summary of Nevada Homeschool Laws
Knowing the requirements for homeschooling in Nevada is one key to successful homeschooling. Below is a summary of the homeschool laws in the state of Nevada. You can find additional information on Home School Legal Defense Association’s (HSLDA) website as well: Nevada HSLDA Reference
To homeschool in Nevada, you’ll need to follow the requirements listed below.
File a one-time notice of intent to homeschool with the superintendent of your local school district before you start your homeschool program, or not later than 10 days after your child has been formally withdrawn from public school or not later than 30 days after establishing state residency. You do not have to file again, unless your name or address changes after filing, in which case you must file a new notice of intent with the superintendent of your local school district within 30 days. The notice must include:
- The full name, age, and gender of your child
- Your name and address
- A statement from you, signed and dated, stating that you have control or charge of your child and the legal right to direct his or her education, and that you assume full responsibility for your child’s education while he or she is being homeschooled
- An educational plan showing that you will be teaching the required subjects–the plan must be appropriate for your child’s age and level of skill as determined by you
- If applicable, the name of the Nevada public school your child most recently attended
- An optional statement from you prohibiting release of the information you have provided in your notice of intent
The superintendent should acknowledge your notice with a letter which you must retain in your records as proof of your compliance with the Nevada homeschool law.
Teach the required subjects, which are English (including reading, composition, and writing), math, science, and social studies (including history, geography, economics, and government).
Here you’ll find websites for any questions you may have about education in the state of Nevada.
- Nevada Department of Education: https://doe.nv.gov/
- Nevada State Board of Education: https://doe.nv.gov/State_Board_of_Education/
- Nevada State Government – Education: https://nv.gov/education
- U.S. Department of Education – Nevada: https://www.ed.gov/category/location/nevada
- Nevada State Education Association: https://www.nsea-nv.org/
- List of Nevada school districts: https://ballotpedia.org/List_of_school_districts_in_Nevada
Whether you already homeschool in Nevada or are looking to do so, these resources are quite useful if you’re searching for support, co-ops, or answers to questions about homeschooling in your state.
- Northern Nevada Homeschools: https://www.nnhs.org/
- Training Up Arrows Homeschool Group: https://www.echgroup.org/
- Nevada Homeschool Network: https://nevadahomeschoolnetwork.com/
- Eagles Homeschool Group LV: https://www.homeschool-life.com/3255/
- IMPACT Co-op: https://www.homeschool-life.com/NV/impactcoop/
- Homeschooling in Nevada: https://www.homeschoolinginnevada.com/support/support-groups
- Henderson Homeschool Explorers: https://www.meetup.com/Henderson-Homeschool-Explorers/
- Homeschools United – Vegas Valley: https://homeschool8.tripod.com/
- North Carson Homeschool Co-operative: https://faith4us.wixsite.com/ncarsonhomeschool
- Nellis Homeschool Co-op: https://www.facebook.com/groups/242361595888810/
One of the many benefits of homeschooling is the flexibility to explore! Here are some ideas for amazing–and educational–field trips around the great state of Nevada!
- Central Nevada Museum: Tonopah, NV
- Children’s Museum of Northern Nevada: Carson City, NV
- Clark County Museum: Henderson, NV
- Clark County Wetlands Park: Las Vegas, NV
- Discovery Children’s Museum: Las Vegas, NV
- Fleischmann Planetarium and Science Center: Reno, NV
- Hoover Dam: Nevada, Arizona border
- Las Vegas Art Museum: Las Vegas, NV
- Las Vegas Natural History Museum: Las Vegas, NV
- Lied Discovery Children’s Museum: Las Vegas, NV
- Northeastern Nevada Museum: Elko, NV
- Roos N More Zoo: Moapa, NV
- Shark Reef Aquarium (in Mandalay Bay): Las Vegas, NV
- Springs Preserve: Las Vegas, NV
- Tonopah Historic Mining Park: Tonopah, NV